Kickin' Chicken Skewers
Is there ANY recipe that hasn't been touched by bacon? I mean really, though. I know some people must be SO SICK of the Bacon Revolution that has been happening. Bacon in grilled cheese, bacon in ice cream, bacon in lasagna (is that a thing? It has to be somewhere on the internet, right??). Sadly, there are people who refuse to let bacon have it's shining moment in food history. Those people will not find solace here, my friends. LET'S BRING ON MORE BACON!
With grilling season being in full swing, you know we needed to find yet ANOTHER way to slip bacon into our diets. So let's talk about these Sticky Bacon and Chicken Skewers, shall we?
I've been obsessed with grilling chicken thighs lately. I used to be a strictly grilled chicken breast girl. I grew up in a house where chicken breast was the main meat. The occasional ground beef and ground turkey would show up, but we pretty much ran on chicken. It wasn't until I started eating outside of the home that I discovered the tenderness of a good chicken thigh. It has slowly worked it's way into my grilling repertoire and now I'm bringing it into yours!
Sticky Bacon and Chicken Skewers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: About 8 skewers
5 boneless skinless chicken thighs 8 strips bacon (I like center-cut bacon for this recipe, best)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup apricot preserves
2 Tablespoons honey
1 rounded Tablespoon minced ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon green onions, chopped
Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes (so they won't burn when grilled)
1. Wash and pat dry the chicken thighs, and cut into 2" chunks. Skewer the chicken, weaving in and out of the pieces so they are secure. Repeat until all the chicken is prepped.
2. Take one slice of bacon per skewer, and start by piercing one end of the bacon at the top, then wrap around the chicken skewer until you reach the bottom. The bacon won't completely cover the chicken, so don't worry! It should wrap around the skewer one and half times, kinda just "gracing" the chicken with it's bacon-y goodness. Once you reach the bottom, pierce the bottom end of the bacon on the skewer, securing in place. Place in a baking dish and set aside/place in fridge until you are ready to grill.
3. Heat grill to about 350 degrees. While grill is heating up, combine the soy sauce, apricot preserves, honey, ginger, red pepper flakes and garlic. Whisk thoroughly.
4. Brush half the glaze on the skewers, and place on the grill. Cook on each side for 10 minutes, until bacon and chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove from heat, and tent with foil for 5 minutes. Top with remaining glaze and chopped green onions.
6. ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry!