There are certain truths in this world that everyone knows can't be disputed. Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth. TV will rot your brain (but MAN some of those shows are addictive!). And Dad's are hard to shop for. Especially come Father's Day. Does Dad REALLY need another tie? No. How about that hammer that he swears he's had his eye on? Come on now. Dad will insist that the tie you got him for the 4th year in a row is "exactly what he wanted!" and that the hammer "will make his life so much easier!". But you know better.
If your dad is anything like my Pop, one of the ways to a dad's heart is through delicious meals. I swear to you, not a day goes by that Pop doesn't send the family a mouthwatering picture of a meal that he just found on Instagram. This is a daily ritual. I must get my love of eating out from him, because we could spend hours on hours talking about the newest burger from Carl's Jr (btw, my dad has tried the new Jalapeno Double Cheeseburger thing they have going and he says its not worth it, so I'm taking his word for it!), or the epic Tasty video that he scrolled into on Facebook. We LOVE to talk about food! And one of our go to things to discuss are crazy "mash up foods".
A "mash up food" is when already great stand alone dishes combine to create a new and exciting dish! Like, for example, these Fajita Cheesesteak Sliders! (wink wink!) Juicy cheesesteak slices are seasoned with fajita spices and onions and bell peppers. Then you put all that glory into a layer of sweet King's Hawaiian Rolls and top it with layers and layers of cheese... I mean. Let's be serious here; are you NOT drooling right now??
So this Father's Day, speak to Dad in the best way I know how: with meaty, cheesy, goodness that screams "WHO'S THE BEST DAD IN THE WORLD?? YOU are!"
Fajita Cheesesteak Sliders
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8, 3 sliders each
24 pack King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Two 9oz packages Steak-umm's sliced steak
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green onion
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp flour
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp garlic, minced
8 slices pepperjack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove rolls from package in one full sheet, don't tear them apart. With a serrated knife, slice through the center of the rolls, creating two sheets. Place both sheets, cut side up, on a baking sheet and place in the oven to toast the center, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
2. Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat, and cook the sliced steak until no longer pink, or about 6 minutes. While meat is cooking, slice the bell peppers and onions into thin strips. Turn down the heat to medium, and toss the veggies into the pan with the meat, and stir around until peppers and onions are soft.
3. Add the spices and flour to the meat mixture, and stir until well combined. Let cook until the meat is a little crisp, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While meat is crisping, melt butter in a microwave safe dish, then add garlic and stir. Set aside.
5. Place the bottom sheet of rolls into a 9x13" casserole dish. Spread the fajita mixture over the bread evenly. Place the slices of pepperjack cheese over the top of the meat, and cover with the top sheet of rolls. Brush with garlic butter, and sprinkle tops of sliders with sesame seeds.
6. Put dish in over and bake for 10 minutes, until tops get golden brown and toasty. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
7. ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry!