Spicy Pizza Dip
Sometimes there is nothing better than a warm, cheesy pizza. We all have those days where we want to curl up in bed with some Netflix, forget about the world and order a pizza. Pizza = happiness. It's just science, guys.
This dip came to be for Super Bowl weekend (I KNOW! THAT WAS SO LONG AGO!). It was a last minute decision to go to a friends place to watch the game, and I needed something to bring. My inital goal was to make Jalapeno Popper Dip, but after looking in the pantry and fridge, I discovered I didn't have everything I needed. With it being Sunday and being unable to go to the store, my mind began racing.
I want warm. I want cheese. I want.... PIZZA! Crap.... Pizza will take too long. AHA!! And my mind decided to marry my Jalapeno Popper Dip with all my goals for a scrumptious slice of pizza pie. And a miracle was born!
I am not attempting to take credit for the FIRST EVER PIZZA DIP. Lol. I'm no fool, I know this has been done before. I've seen them floating around Pinterest, and honestly have never been impressed. Most of them are purely cream cheese topped with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. That will not do. I needed DEPTH of flavor for my dip. I needed HEAT for my dip. I needed not your BASIC CHEESE for my dip.
This dip takes more steps than your average pizza dip; be warned. But when I tell you these steps are WORTH it for amazing levels of flavor, I mean it. You won't miss your run-of-the-mill cream cheese dip.
Spicy Pizza Dip
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 20 appetizer sized servings
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1/2 large jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni, plus extra for topping
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 8oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup mayo
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 1/4 tsp garlic powder, divided
1 1/2 tsp dried basil, divided
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, divided
1 1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes
1 cup Feta cheese crumbles
Basil, cut into ribbons
Crackers or tortilla chips
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium pan, saute onion, jalapeno, chopped pepperoni and olive oil until onions are translucent, and pepperoni is starting to crisp.
2. While veggies and pepperoni are cooking, beat cream cheese, mayo and salt and pepper in a stand mixer/with a hand mixer. Add cooked mix, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp basil, and 1 tsp oregano. Mix until well combined. Spray a pie dish or casserole dish with cooking spray, and spread the cream cheese mixture into the dish.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the diced tomatoes and 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp each of basil and oregano. Drop tomato mixture in small dollops onto the dip. Top with pepperoni and feta crumbles, and place in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Let cool slightly, and top with fresh basil ribbons. Serve immediately with crackers or tortilla chips.
5. ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry!