Orange Raspberry Morning Buns
So typically I'm not a huge fan of eating breakfast in the morning. Now, I didn't say that I'm not a fan of breakfast. I love breakfast foods, but it's really hard for me to eat in the morning. I usually end up feeling icky the rest of the day, but I will make an exception on special occasions. For example, Christmas Day, LDS General Conference's Sunday Session, and 4th of July.
Growing up, breakfast was an important part of any holiday celebration. Just like any other celebratory dinner, the family sits down and we discuss the breakfast menu! "Do we want a waffle bar? What about crepes? Oh but the boys want ALL THE BACON OF THE WORLD..." That's just a small taste of the meal planning that occurs in the MKZ house.
I've tried to incorporate that tradition into my own LEE household. Most holidays, John and I have been making a habit of going out to breakfast together before all the festivities begin. We don't get to spend most mornings together since we are both busy getting ready for work and barely have time to say goodbye. So on special mornings, we try real hard to either get to a nice sit-down breakfast spot, or go all out and make ourselves a morning meal fit for a VIP.
The latest additions to my "Special Breakfast" obsession are these Orange Raspberry Morning Buns. These sweet little pull apart muffins are bursting with orange zing. We got that orange sugar, orange zest and most importantly, that orange royal glaze. I swear, you put that glaze on a plate of grass and I'd eat it.
When you get a big bite of that orange glazed biscuit with a sweet nibble of raspberry, you might just want to eat them the rest of the day. Why should BREAKFAST have all the fun??
Orange Raspberry Morning Buns
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 10 servings, 1 bun each
Ingredients: - 1 1/2 cup sugar - zest of 1 orange
-pinch of salt
- 1 can Pillsbury Grand's Jr biscuits (10 biscuits) - 3/4 cup butter, melted - 10 washed raspberries
Orange Glaze: - 1 cup powder sugar - 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice - 1 Tablespoon orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the sugar with zest of 1 orange and a pinch of salt. Open the can of biscuits, and cut each biscuit into quarters. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Dip each quarter of biscuit into the melted butter, then roll in the orange zest sugar mix and put into the muffin tin, filing each muffin cup with 4 pieces of biscuit. Take one raspberry per muffin cup, and break apart so that little beads of raspberry are scattered throughout the tin. Place the muffin tin on a cookie sheet to catch any drippings. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until biscuits are fluffy and no longer gooey in the center.
3. While the Morning Buns are baking, whisk together the ingredients for the Orange Glaze until well combined.
4. Once biscuits are done baking, remove from the oven and leave in the muffin tin, but rest them away from heat on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes, or until they have set and slightly cooled. You can either drizzle the glaze on top of the buns while in the muffin tin or once plated.
5. ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry