Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Seriously, if someone could figure out how I can eat pizza every single day and not gain 200 pounds... AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT.
Years ago, I was at at BJ's, a brew house also known for their pizza, with some friends celebrating a birthday. I was in the middle of one of my health kicks and trying to watch the calories I'd enjoy that night. DON'T GET ME WRONG... I was going to eat pizza. I had waited all week to eat pizza. But I wanted to still be conscious of those dreaded calories.
As I was looking at the menu and scouring for some low numbers per slice, my eye came across a "170" in a midst of "350"s. You guessed it, the Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME. This is not a post about a healthy pizza. Oh no, I have wisened up since my 22 year old self thought that meal could be considered "healthy". This is me trying to explain to you where my love and craving of Buffalo Chicken Pizza stems from.
You see, before that night, I would not touch anything with buffalo sauce. Heaven's no. I had seen Kramer of Seinfeld fame eat buffalo wings in bed and thought "I don't know what buffalo wings are, but that is disgusting". From then on I had always been kind of grossed out by that vinegary, spicy smelling sauce. But I was so focused on that caloric number that I just ordered it before realizing that BBQ Chicken was the same amount of calories... More on my love of BBQ Chicken Pizza here.
The deep dish version I got at BJ's was perfect in every way. Light and fluffy dough, spicy buffalo sauce, shredded chicken, stringy mozerella and roasted red onions and celery topped with gooey blue cheese and a ranch sauce drizzle. It was then I fell in love.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I finally stopped dreaming of recreating it and just did it. Yes, its been on my list of things to create for a few years now and yes, its taken me this long to just buck up and do it. And so, without further ado, I give you Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 2 pizzas, 16 slices
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or favorite brand)
- 2 Tablespoon greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoon mayo
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon chives
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups mozzarella
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- extra Frank's Hot Sauce for drizzling
1. Pour hot water (not boiling, but you don't want it just slightyly warm either) and yeast into a bowl and set aside to proof, about 5 minutes. It will form a foam on top of the water, this is what you want! While yeast is proofing, combine flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. After proofed, pour yeast and water into the dry mixture and mix with dough hook until a ball is formed, about 5 minutes. Split dough in half. Spray two 9 inch cake pans with cooking spray, and stretch dough into each, filling the pans Cover lightly with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Set in a warm place and let rise for 35-40 minutes. The dough should rise to fill 3/4 of the pan and be light and fluffy.
2. While dough is rising, bring a pot of water to boil and poach the chicken breast, about 9 minutes. Removed from water and either shred or cut into cubes. Mix with 1/2 cup of Frank's Hot Sauce (I put that **beep** on everything! lol) and set aside to top pizza with later.
3. Combine all ingredients for Ranch Drizzle and cover and set in fridge to set.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together the olive oil, garlic powder and parmesan for the dough spread. Remove covering from pans CAREFULLY to not disturb the rise of the dough. Gently brush the dough with the dough spread. Then top each pizza with chicken, celery, red onion and mozzarella (I like to put the mozzeralla on last to melt all the toppings together). Put into the oven to bake for about 25 miuntes.
5. Remove from oven and top IMMEDIATELY with blue cheese so it has time to get a little melty. Cut and drizzle with ranch drizzle and extra hot sauce (it's best to drizzle AFTER cutting; otherwise you just get an orange mess and can't see the beauty of the drizzle :-P ). Serve immediately.
6. ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry.
#pizza #buffalochickenpizza #buffalochickenpizzarecipe #pizzarecipe #BJscopycatrecipe #BJscopycatrecipe #BJsbuffalochickenpizza