If you know me, you know I'm crazy about Mexican food. So is it any surprise that I'm constantly trying to find ways to make it a little more diet friendly? Baking these taquitos instead of frying is one great way to ensure this fits with our "Diet Food Can Be Good Food" theme.
The bold taste of cumin and simplicity of jarred salsa help make these Baked Chicken Taquitos a winner. And if you needed another great reason to love these, you can freeze the freshly rolled taquitos to bake at a later date! Meal prep ftw (for the win), ya'll!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
Prep Time:15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 8 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 18 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil chicken breasts until cooked through (time will depend on the thickness of chicken breasts).
2) Shred chicken (Tip! Put chicken into your stand mixer and mix on medium for perfectly shredded chicken without the aching hands). Add remaining ingredients except tortillas and cooking spray. Stir to combine.
3) Warm tortillas slightly to allow perfect taquito rolling. Fill each tortilla with heaping amounts of filling, about one packed ice cream scoop's worth, then roll tightly without tearing tortilla. If your'e doing meal prep, put rolled taquitos in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Otherwise, move to next step.
4) Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place taquitos seam side down on pan and then spray with cooking spray to get nice and crisp tortillas.
5) Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Top with your favorite toppings (greek yogurt and guacamole pictured).
6) ENJOY and post with #perfectleehungry